Confession: I LOVE Williams-Sonoma European hot chocolate. It is thick, creamy, decadent, and ultra chocolate-y. I mean, really, it is basically melted chocolate in a cup. So good.
Of course, there is a STEEP price tag on such a luxurious beverage: $20!!!
That is simply not in our budget for regular every day consumption.
So, I save the gourmet stuff for special occasions and instead whip up my own hot chocolate mix that I can have any cold winter day I please.
Could you buy a box of Swiss Miss from the store? Yes, but I promise this is so much better. Plus, I really like knowing exactly what is going in my beverages. Don’t you?
The Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ cups cocoa powder (Dutch-processed preferred, but regular okay)
- 1½ cups white chocolate chips (or chopped white chocolate)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Whisk together all ingredients in a large bowl. Working in two batches, pulse the ingredients in a food processor until the chocolate is finely ground. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
2. To make hot cocoa, put 1/3 cup of the cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup of hot milk or water. Optional: Top with whipped cream or miniature marshmallows.
Makes 20 servings. Nutritional Information per serving: Calories: 139 Carbs: 28g Fat: 2g Protein: 5g Sugar: 24 g
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Country.