This soup is easy to make, very filling, and SPICY! You can easily tone down the heat by using only half the amount of diced green chiles. The original recipe called for a whole 4 oz can, but I can only handle half!
The weather is starting to warm up but it’s still chilly enough to have soup at night. This soup is sure to warm you up and keep you satisfied for a long time!
If you have a large/hungry family, you should try this Latin-inspired soup. It makes a LOT! Look how full my crock pot was:
Crock Pot Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Soup
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 of a 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 16 oz (2) skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 medium scallions, diced
- cut limes, for serving
- 1 medium haas avocado, sliced
- light sour cream, for serving (optional)
1) Take one can of beans and place in the blender (I used a food processor) along with 2 cups of the chicken broth; puree then add to your slow cooker. Add the remainder of the beans and chicken broth into the slow cooker along with tomatoes, diced green chiles, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chicken breast, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro. Set slow cooker to HIGH 4 hours or LOW 6 to 8 hours.
2) After it’s done, remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Place back into the slow cooker and add fresh scallions, remainder cilantro and adjust salt and cumin, to taste.
3) Serve hot with avocado and light sour cream.
Makes: 10 1/2 cups. Serving size: 1 1/2 cups. Calories: 306 Fat: 6g Carbs: 37.5g Fiber: 13.5 Sugar: 3g Sodium: 698.4mg without salt
Recipe adapted from: skinnytaste.com