Taquitos are traditionally deep fried and quite heavy, but this baked version is equally delicious and very filling! I saw this recipe pop up on Pinterest and knew I had to try it. I already had perfectly shredded chicken in the fridge waiting to be used, and these were so fun to make. I think this recipe would be very family friendly as kids can pick these up easily and dive in!
My husband and I both agreed these were awesome. They actually reheated very well, which is good because I got 16 out of a batch! These could be a great lunch option for those of you who take lunch to work. They are portable and delicious. Not too spicy, not too creamy, not too crispy…you get the idea. Each one comes in around 144 calories 16g of protein to keep you full for a while!
These can be a main dish or even an appetizer! I think they would be cute cut in small bite-size pieces for a cinco de mayo or super bowl party. They can also be gluten free if you use a gluten free tortilla!
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese or sour cream
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat colby jack or cheddar cheese
- 16 small flour (or corn) tortillas
- Cooking spray
1) Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
2) If using cream cheese, warm in microwave until soft and easy to stir. Add salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir. Add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and mix until very well combined.
3) Place 2-3 tbsp of chicken mixture on the lower third of the tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch away from the edges and roll it up as tightly as you can. Place seam side down on the baking sheet.
4) Lay all the filled taquitos on the baking sheet, making sure they do not touch. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
5) Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Serve plain or with salsa, sour cream, etc.
Makes 16 taquitos. Nutritional information per taquito: Calories: 144 Carbs: 16g Fat: 4g Protein: 16g Sugar: 1g FIber: 1g
WW PointsPlus: 4
Recipe adapted from: http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/09/baked-creamy-chicken-taquitos.html