Zucchini season is coming to an end, and I wanted to share with you one more zucchini-related recipe we enjoyed this summer. This is a thinly sliced chicken breast stuffed with a zucchini, garlic and parmesan mixture, then dipped in an olive oil and lemon mixture, breaded, and baked in the oven until golden brown. These are surprisingly filling!
These rollatinis do require a few steps to make, but I promise it is worth the effort! Starting off with thinly sliced chicken breast is key, but you can always pound out a regular chicken breast if you must. In the past, I have made some chicken roll-up recipes that required toothpicks to keep the chicken together, and I am so glad that was not necessary this time! Each chicken breast stayed together perfectly. This unique recipe is a great way to sneak in zucchini for family/friends that typically do not love the vegetable. My husband falls into that category but he ate these zucchini stuffed chicken breasts with no complaints!
Hurry and make these before summer comes to an end!
Chicken Rollatini Stuffed with Zucchini
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (1 medium) zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Romano cheese (or parmesan)
- 3 oz part skim shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and fresh pepper
- olive oil non-stick spray
1) Wash and dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
2) In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. When hot saute the garlic 1 minute, or until golden. Add zucchini, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, salt and pepper and saute about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool. When cool, add mozzarella cheese and mix to combine.
3) Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 3 tbsp of zucchini-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.
4) Combine breadcrumbs and remaining 2 tbsp of Romano cheese in one bowl; in a second bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
5) Dip chicken in lemon-oil mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spraywith oil spray.
6) Bake 25 – 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 chicken rollatini. Nutritional information per serving: Calories: 171 Carbs: 7.9g Fat: 6.3g Protein: 20.3g Fiber: 0.9g Sugar: 1.3g
WW PointsPlus: 4
Recipe adapted from skinnytaste.com.