I am SO excited to share how to make these “muffins” today! These muffins are actually egg whites and veggies, cooked in a muffin tin to make for convenient, on-the-go access. No flour or oil, just protein and vitamins!
The best part? The basil and oregano combined with the red bell pepper creates a flavor very reminiscent of pizza! These are absolutely delicious and so incredibly healthy! Each “muffin” has less than 40 calories and 5g of protein. There is no reason to reach for an unhealthy breakfast or snack when you have them in your fridge. I was shocked at how filling these little guys were!
To speed up the process, I used my food processor to chop all my vegetables, but if you don’t have one or if you have time, you can chop them up yourself. I also used foil muffin liners but they did stick a little bit. Feel free to spray your muffin pan instead.
This recipe made 15 muffins in my pan! You can refrigerate them for up to a week after making, or try freezing them and taking them out at your leisure. If freezing, allow the muffins to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Clean Egg White Veggie Muffins
- 14 egg whites
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled (optional) and shrdded
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 carrots (or about 6 baby carrots), finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- dash sea salt and pepper
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
2) Using a food processor (or knife), chop all the vegetables. Fill each muffin tin 1/3 full with the veggies.
3) Whisk the egg whites, 4 eggs, and seasonings together in a large bowl. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop the egg mixture and fill each muffin tin.
4) Bake for about 30 minutes, or until they’ve risen and are slightly brown. Enjoy!
Servings: 15. Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories: 39 Fat: 1g Carbs: 2g Protein: 5g Sodium: 211mg