I may never buy canned beans ever again after having made this recipe!! It does not get any cheaper, faster, or tastier than this. So long sodium-ridden canned pinto beans, hello crock pot beans!
This recipe may or may not be as earth-shattering for you as it was for me. I have always been a bit intimidated when it comes to preparing dry beans. I didn’t want to bother having to remember to let them soak over night to be able to cook them for dinner the next day. For years I have been buying the canned beans and rinsing them a profusely in hopes of washing off the sodium. After my husband and I got married, my wonderful mother-in-law told me about making beans in the crock pot. It has been in the back of my mind until this past week, when I finally made them. These have SO much more flavor than what you get in the can! And they are so much cheaper! Win-win. There is half a seeded jalapeño in this batch to add a very subtle kick, but they are not spicy at all!
These pinto beans are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and fat free! This recipe also makes a lot, so if you have a small family you may want to cut the recipe in half.
My crock pot cooked these beans perfectly in just 3.5 hours on high. I would suggest checking on them after 3-3.5 hours, but depending on your slow cooker you may need to add additional time.
Easy Crock Pot Pinto Beans
- 1/2 onion peeled and halved
- 1.5 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/2 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups water
1) Rinse pinto beans and place in crock pot with all remaining ingredients.
2) Turn crock pot to high and let cook for around 3.5 hours. If possible, stir occasionally. Beans should be soft and a lot of the water should have evaporated but you don’t want them to turn to mush, so I would check them around 3 hours, then 3.5 hours and if they aren’t done let them go up to 4 hours. You want them to be soft so they melt in your mouth!
Servings: 12. Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories: 34 Carbs: 12gh Fat: 0g Protein: 4g Sugar: 1g Fiber: 7g
WW PP: 2 Old points: 0!
Recipe adapted from: http://www.theaprongal.com/2012/05/crock-pot-pinto-beans.html