The most flavorful ragu ever! Perfect for a weeknight meal, and a great way to sneak in some veggies!
I had NO idea how amazing this meal was going to be when I made it.
So. Much. Flavor!!
My husband proclaimed it one of his favorite meals ever. So simple, but seriously amazing.
You know it’s a winner when you genuinely look forward to the leftovers, and this sauce reheats beautifully–it’s almost better the second day! You can serve it over pasta, gluten-free pasta, or spaghetti squash (my favorite!).
Speaking of which, click here to learn how to cook spaghetti squash!
Okay, so what makes this sauce so wonderful?
- From start to finish, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. Always a win, especially on busy weeknights. Thanks, food processor, for making this so quick and easy!
- Everyone loves spaghetti and meat sauce, right? Right. Gotta love dishes that will appeal to your entire family.
- The ingredients are simple. Humble, even. But, when they come together, they create a rich, cozy sauce. The key is using high quality beef (grass-fed), and marinara sauce.
- The “shortcut” in this shortcut ragu is the marinara sauce. It’s (gasp) store-bought. Normally I’m all about making everything from scratch, but sometimessssss life gets crazy and you need a quick meal. Find a high-quality marinara sauce and it will make this meat sauce taste like it has been simmering all day.
- My favorite –> Hidden veggies! In order to sneak some vegetables into the sauce, I threw them in the food processor first until they were chopped up teeny tiny. My husband hates mushrooms but didn’t even know he was eating them!
Hooray for adding nutrition and making a meal go further in a healthy, cost-effective way! I love it.
Quick tip: double this recipe and freeze it!
30-Minute Shortcut Beef and Vegetable Ragu
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef (I used 90/10)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped (I used a handful of baby carrots!)
- 1 rib of celery, roughly chopped
- 4oz sliced mushrooms
- 24 oz high quality tomato-basil marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- cooked pasta (regular or GF), or spaghetti squash
- salt and pepper
1). Heat a large skillet or pot over medium heat and add the ground beef. While it is beginning to brown, add the onion and garlic to the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
2). Add the carrot, celery, and mushrooms to the food processor. Pulse until minced. Add to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
3). When the ground beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender, add the marinara sauce and chicken broth, stirring to combine. Reduce heat slightly and place a lid partially on top of the skillet. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4). Stir in fresh basil. Taste and re-season with more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve over cooked pasta or spaghetti squash.
Servings of sauce: about 6. Approximate Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories: 203 Carbs: 16g Fat: 7g Protein: 18g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g Points+: 5 Recipe adapted from here.